Monday, October 29, 2012

Weather Woes, School Closures, Live Video; Sandy Update #5

Hello Freeport,

By now I'm sure you've heard there's this thing called a Hurricane, with the name of Sandy, coming to town. Unlike it's little sister Irene, who visited us last year, Sandy is kinda crazy.  So crazy, well...I need to give you all the run-down.

First of all, according to the Freeport School District's webpage, they have announced school closures for tomorrow, Tuesday the 30th.  This is in addition to today's closure.

Second, Freeport artist Rick Avolin has sent in a link to a live-feed webcam from the Allegria Hotel in Long Beach.  It's actually kind of fascinating; right now, as I write, the tide isn't that high, but I'm sure as time goes on it'll rise.  It's a nice thing to see because Long Beach is in front of us, and it'll give you some clue as to how things are going to effect us in the immediate future.  Also, it's really weird to see all the people wandering around on the boardwalk!

Oh.  The next high tide is around 9:00 PM, so 8 hours from when this article goes up, let's say.

(Editorial note:  I mis-read my original source and, before editing the above line, said the tide would be high around 4:00.  Instead, that's when the tide will be low.  My apologies; thank you to Fred Deppert for pointing out the error.)


I've heard reports of a fire on Branch street, but I've also heard it's been contained.

If anyone has any pictures they'd like to submit, please don't hesitate.  As always, I'll give you full credit, plus a link to any website you happen to run/like/work for.

Above all, be safe.

2 comments:

  1. Jesse, Your High Tide info is incorrect, High Tide in Freeport Bay/Baldwin Bay is at 9:03 pm, Freeport Creek at 8:59 pm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fred,

      Here's my source: http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/calendar/month/2034.html. I should have linked to it in the article. It cites a...Oh. I see what the website did there. I scroll down to the applicable date and saw the times listed. I therefore didn't see that it goes "high tide, low tide," and not just yielding the high-tides as I would have thought.

      My apologies.

      Delete